Tuesday 20 December 2011

The Message- Huge Update

Today was a very productive day on my 'Message' brief, as I managed to create Koya's textures as well as his surroundings. I also got rid of the default lightings, set up my own lighting system as well as creating cameras ready for the animation stage.
 

Koya's skin was able to take the texture very well, but to add a little more of an extraterrestrial feel, I changed his skin type to 'Phong' in order to give him a shiny, slimy look.
I then created five NURBS planes to surround Koya as the background.

These two PNGs are from my earlier concept work. As the brief's outcome focused on the character, the background wasn't my prime concern, hence why I'm using 2D planes for the backdrop.




 It was then a simple case of texturing the planes with the images.

I then used the 'Sculpt Geometry Tool' to sculpt the floor plane into a desert-looking environment.
I then applied a 'Granite' texture to the plane, modifying it slightly to match the colours of the sand in my concept work.
I then added PaintEffects to Koya to give him a smiling expression, but I wasn't happy with the results, so I will seek a better alternative soon.
After adding some plants to the floor with Visor brushes, I rendered a frame using Maya.
I then wanted to get rid of the default lights in order to get the 'Mars planet' look. I added some dusty ambient light just to illuminate slightly, then I added a point light with a strong orange hue. The light seemed adequate and atmospheric.
Another frame render gave me what I was after: the light was falling okay and even better, it gave the sand a fiery but dull red colour, just like the planet Mars.
I switched back to default lighting briefly to set up cameras. I constructed two to sit in two different corners and one with Aim, to stay focused on Koya.
 Today was very productive! And after I construct Koya's face with paint, I should be ready to animate.





No comments:

Post a Comment