Friday 15 March 2013

Creative Futures 3- Ffresh Festival and Comic Con

I attended some sessions of the Ffresh Moving Image Festival, but found lots of the sessions were quite irrelevent.

The first one we went to was the Glyndwr Showcase, which hosted a lot of work produced in Glyndwr across a whole host of media. I was disappointed to see that much of the work was very dated, going as far back as 2006. I was even further disappointed that our recent work (for Negotiated Study 1) wasn;t featured at all, even though we had submitted it. I felt that it may have been good promotion for the current students, especially as professionals from all over Wales were in attendance.

Other showcases I went to were largely irrelevant, with the exception of the games showcase. The game showcase offered the chance to see two unreleased games at their current level. One was called Master Reboot, and was a horror game inspired by Project Zero (Fatal Frame) and Silent Hill. In its current form, it was mainly unfinished but the style of being inside a computer was very intriguing and fascinated the hell out of me. It seemed like a game I would play, and it was handily being released later this year.

The second game was Soulfinity, which mixed sci-fi elements with classical Greek environments and mythology. The gameplay revolved around strategically killing yourself at certain points and having a digital version of your last self repeat the same action, in order to get past puzzles. It looked visually better than Master Reboot, but I felt the gameplay probably wasn't going very far with the 'repeatedly kill yourself over and over' mechanic, and the mix of Greece and space didn't sit too comfortably with me.

I also visited Manchester Comic Con over the last summer holiday, and the Midlands Comic Con that happened recently and both journey have inspired me to participate in a Comic Con in order to promote my own artwork and get my name out there. To this end, I've inquired about booking a table at the Wales Comic Con, which is being held conveniently at my own university grounds. I'll update soon if I get accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment