Tuesday 10 April 2012

Personal Practice- Krite from 'Critters' film series

This time when I was practicing, I didn't use any reference for the colouring of the Krite, since I've watched the films so many times that I've memorialized what they look like. It was also good practice to colour and paint using my own intuition, as I can't paint from reference all the time as I'll be relying on my own imagination for the most part. Painting the Krite took the same amount of time as Sora, and I've learned that painting this way takes a lot less time than my usual method, AND it looks ten times better paradoxically. I'm now looking forward to doing the concept work for my brief, as I'm a lot more confident in my digital painting skill.

Here's the Krite in stages:

Like before, started off with just large blobs of colour, then I neatened up edges and erased part of the fur to make it look more like the edges of fur.

Added more definition to the fur, face, mouth and eyes. I shaded the claws and feet very roughly.

I added a lot more fine detail to the face, such as folds in the skin and definition around the eyes. I also added more detail to the fur, claws, feet, etc. I also added the teeth of the creature.

Finishing it off, I added a haze of fur all over the creature, and sharpened up the limbs. I added the cat-like pupils in the eyes, and 'dirtied' the teeth as they were too perfectly white. I'm happy with the outcome, but I feel the fur looks a little too 'fake', and it looks a little like the Krite doesn't have a perfectly solid body except for the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment